After posting a picture of my Kent Wang knit tie last week I got some questions about the rest of my tie collection, since I boldly claimed to only have a dozen. Here they are.
I will make no claims that this is some ultimate “essential tie wardrobe” and that it is something to aspire to; unlike the rest of my wardrobe, my tie collection is much less planned out and has grown organically over the years. However, I do my best to keep the ties in this dozen versatile and simple. I don’t have many because I don’t need many. I have upgraded several of the ties in this collection and will continue to do so when the price is right; I find that a “one in, one out” policy helps me keep my purchases focused and productive.
I use the top four the most often for casual everyday wear, and the middle row for when I want to feel a bit more dressed up. The bottom four are seasonal or event-oriented and get worn only occasionally.
In the future, here’s what I might add:
- solid brown knit or grenadine
- solid grey wool/cashmere tie
- replace the navy/white stripe with something similar but wider and of higher quality
- Some solid navy tie (twill, wool, or something)
- gray or brown Prince of Wales or houndstooth check
…but I’m in no hurry. This works just fine for now.
Want to get all the product details? Read on.
- Kent Wang silk bicolor knit, 2.75″
- Ralph Lauren Purple Label silk knit, 2.75″
- Brooks Brothers Makers silk knit, 3″
- Ivy Prepster cotton knit, 2.5″
- E&G Cappelli silk pindot, 3.25″
- E&G Cappelli silk grenadine, 3.25″
- Vintage Polo Ralph Lauren silk repp, 3.25″
- Breuer raw silk, 3.25″
- The Tie Bar wool/silk stripe, 3″
- Vintage Gant viyella tartan, 3.25″
- J. Crew cotton madras, 2.5″ (yikes!)
- Tie Tie Bar silk bow tie, 1.5″